Weekly Roundup: August 10thAdvertising
The Weekly roundup is out! Check out the hottest news from this week and of course feel free to add your comments below!
- #TargetTalk…it’s going down, Tuesday August 21st @ 7PM ET..details coming next week right here on the blog
- Great meeting in Seattle this week with our friends from WV USA - looking forward to continued success!
Social …The social space has been particularly hard on a few companies this week…where to begin?
- El Al Airlines mistakenly offers $400 reduced fare on Twitter from US to Israel…then announces they will honor fares, then takes it back
- SW Airlines facebook promo celebrating 3M fans actually charges accounts up to 35x for a single ticket
- Reuters’ twitter account is hacked by pro-Assad activists
- McDonalds gets a lot of backlash to their Olympic promos
- Great piece from Gillette combining a series of various projections onto various areas to wish TEAM USA luck at the Olympics
- It has been really exciting to see Blade Runner (aka The Real Superman aka Oscar Pistorius) advance in the Olympics – now, a little on how Nike helped make that possible
- Feeling very bad for the Wired employee this week who had his entire digital life hacked & erased. Here he talks about how Amazon & Apple security flaws enabled it
- Starbux announces it will partner with mobile payments start-up Square
Traditional & Digital News
- Magazine newsstand sales have been steadily falling in 2012 so it should come as little surprise that many pubs are moving to digital only versions
- If you don’t have it yet you better get on board…Chrome now owns 1/3 of the global market
- We can finally all breathe a collective sigh of relief. The apple genius ads are over and not a moment too soon
- Dish Chairman thinks no one likes AMC shows (comments based on the viewing habits of his family…no really)
Research & Metrics
- According to comScore On average, more than 30% of ad impressions are not in-view in the U.S., Canada & EU…Sites will never sell viewable impressions – could be helpful for negotiating though
- Tech savvy consumers represent a rapidly growing segment of the population who have converted some portion of their viewing time to a digital screen
Viral Clip of the Week
- The World’s first programmable LED T-Shirt
Summer Recipes – unfortunately breakfast has been a terribly neglected topic in this section…so with that, here is our first
Peach Pie Smoothie
1/2 cup 1 percent lowfat milk, 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 cup unsweetened frozen peaches, 1 tablespoon honey, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg, Pinch ground ginger
Place all ingredients into a blender & serve
Have a great weekend!